The Hidden Treasures of Junk Removal
Junk removal can be a frustrating process to some. After all, who wants to dig through what is essentially garbage all day? Old kitchenware, mountains of cardboard boxes, and clothes that don’t fit are just some of the examples of the trash you might come across. However, just as every cloud has its silver lining, hidden treasures may be lingering among the junk. Isn’t it exciting to consider that you might come across some valuable antiques while decluttering your property?
Three Rivers Junk Removal is here to tell you more about how sometimes, junk removal is more than just finding trash. Sometimes, it’s about finding something more!
“Trash Treasures” You Might Find
It’s not always obvious which supposed “junk items” might actually have hidden value. Consider the following as some examples to look out for:
- Vintage furniture. Old furniture that has been sitting undamaged in storage can fetch a good price. Many people admire the look of antique furniture, and you might actually be able to resell “retro” furniture, making the time you spent unearthing it well worth it.
- Coin collections. Did you find your grandfather’s old coin collection while cleaning out the attic? Now that so much time has passed, those coins might be worth something. Coins with gold or silver content can also be melted down and turned into spare cash.
- Antique firearms. There is an active market for vintage guns. Perhaps one of your ancestors is a WWII veteran who brought home a German Luger. If so, you have an item worth thousands of dollars on your hands. Always handle old guns with utmost caution.
- Comic books. Think twice before chucking out those comic books you found in the basement. Some comic books are quite rare and could be very valuable. One such prize is Superman’s debut comic book, “Action Comics #1”, which sold for more than $3,000,000 at an auction in early 2022.
- Video games. If your kids have moved out and left their old video games behind, you may be tempted to donate them all. Before you do, though, check for hidden gems. For example, Super Nintendo cartridges such as “Chrono Trigger” and “EarthBound” regularly sell for hundreds of dollars.
From Trash to Treasure: Donating Unwanted Items
Of course, most of the items you unearth during junk removal won't be secretly invaluable treasures. Most of them will just be plain ol' stuff that is in good condition but not particularly worth much money, e.g. clothes, appliances, plush animals, and more. Do these items belong in the dump? We don't think so. It's more eco-friendly to donate them to organizations such as Goodwill and the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. As the old adage says, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". It's in thrift stores like these where your items get a second chance to delight somebody new. Plus, it helps reduce the speed at which our landfills fill up.
Professional junk removal businesses such as Three Rivers Junk Removal will always sort through the items they collect to see what can be donated instead of thrown away. In addition, when they spot any of those "hidden gem" items that may be worth something big, they let the owner know. Imagine how much of a blunder it would be if something that appeared to be worthless wound up being invaluable, and you only found out after someone else found it at the thrift store!
Even if you don't find hidden treasures during junk removal, it's fun to sort through old items as a trip down memory lane. Think about where you found these belongings one last time before parting ways with them. And, hey, if you find something with sentimental value that you'd forgotten about, perhaps it can earn itself a spot on your favorite shelf!